Overture: Pre 1948

The Holybourne Theatre site and the surrounding Complins area were occupied by a brewery before the war, in the days when hop fields separated Holybourne from Alton. The brewery closed and, during the war, the site held German prisoners of war in what was then known as Fisher’s camp.

Housed in Nissen huts, the German soldiers lacked morale with few forms of entertainment available, so they sought permission to convert one of the little huts into a theatre. Authorisation was given and the soldiers worked hard to construct a raised stage and a sloping auditorium.

The old Nissen Hut
Nissen hut stage and lighting
The auditorium
The cramped stage
  • The old Nissen Hut
  • Nissen hut stage and lighting
  • The auditorium
  • The cramped stage